Friday, February 22, 2013

Kitchen Renovations

To say the kitchen in the farm house was crappy when we moved in in an understatement. The faucet was leaking and it had been for such a long time, that the laminate counter top was crumbling apart in places. The sink was okay but nothing special and there is insufficient storage for all the kitchen equipment and gadgets I own.

First thing to do was buy some shelving. We got two chrome storage shelves from Lowes that hold about 350 pounds per shelf. I ordered a stainless steel prep table from a restaurant supply store to use as my island. This week, we removed the old counter and sink and put in new.
This is the before sink. You can see the chips along the edges of the counter where the dishwasher is. The counter is an odd dark green with a stainless sink.

This is underneath the counter. I put 1x3 pine boards along the front and back edges for extra support for the cast iron sink AND it puts the counter a little higher for me. I'm 5'11"; better fit. I added cross braces from front to back as additional support. The sink is REALLY HEAVY!
 This is the sink template. Was a pretty easy cut with a jig saw.
 

Sink hole cut out; was very proud of myself because I didn't have to make any adjustments to the cut. I did however have to trim the pine board supports underneath it along the front edge.





Counter, sink, and faucet in place. No leaks!
 

2 comments:

  1. Elaine,

    You don't know me from heck, but I found your blog and am so grateful for your postings! What you're doing is the one day dream of my fiancee and mine. We also live near DC and hope to one day have a farmhouse. So please keep blogging! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Totally made my day. :-)

      Delete