Friday, August 19, 2016

Health Issues


I had to have a PET scan today, so I had to take out all my earrings. All five pair :)
I feel so naked!

The steroids didn't have any affect on the dense mass in my lower left lung. The doctors are perplexed. So the next course of action was a PET scan. It's nuclear medicine. The technician sticks an IV in and injects some radioactive material. Wait one hour while it makes its way around the system. 

Then the PET scan itself. Very uneventful. I lay as still as a dead person. Well, at least one who can breathe. That took about 30 minutes. I almost fell asleep; I caught myself and stopped a sleep jerk. You know that feeling when you're not quite asleep and a body part decides to to a *spaz* movement. Glad I caught it; I'm sure we'd have to start the test again. It wasn't claustrophobic because you don't stay in the "tunnel" thing; however, it could be problematic for some people in that they wrap your arms at your sides like a mini burrito. Better than having to extend my arms over my head for 30 minutes. 

The theory is that the mass should be the only thing the reacts to the nuclear medicine: the only glowing area. If that's the case, surgery to remove it. If, however, there are multiple glowing bits, then treat for cancer. 

I hope this yields something! I already have an appointment with a thoracic surgeon at the end of the month. 

And I should hear something about the PET scan next week. 

Fingers crossed. 


4 comments:

  1. I was very happy to hear that the PET exam results came back with positive news without any signs of cancer. Good luck with the surgery consult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very happy to hear that the PET exam results came back with positive news without any signs of cancer. Good luck with the surgery consult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jason! Surgery is on the 16th of September. The consult went well; I like the surgeon. Seems very competent.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete